Main building, level 2
The Volunteers Department provides an invaluable service throughout the Hospital, including:
- Concierge service: a Volunteer accompanies patients from the Enquiries Desk to their destination and/or other locations around the Hospital. Arrangements can also be made for escorts to mind children while parents park their car.
- Child minding: the Sibling Care Centre is provided for brothers and sisters of children in Hospital, or attending an Outpatient Clinic or Emergency. The Centre is open 7 days a week: 9.00am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday and 10.00am to 2.00pm on weekends. There is a small fee. Children staying during lunchtime should bring a packed lunch. The Centre closes on Christmas Eve and re-opens on 1 February each year. Bookings are required. Phone: 9845 3841 or 9845 3838.
- Occasional care: 5 days a week: 2.00pm to 6.00pm - for children of nursing staff.
- The Ward Grandparent Scheme is a service available through the Social Work Department where a trained volunteer can stay with a child three or four days per week when family members are unavailable or a parent needs a break. It may also be possible for a volunteer to stay with your child if you need to leave for a limited time. Please ask nursing staff for more details.
For information about the range of services contact Ms Jill Jenkins, Volunteer Co-ordinator on 9845 3841.
- Ward Volunteers: Volunteers support families and staff in most wards including Newborn Intensive Care, Middleton Day Surgery and the Recovery Ward.
- Emergency Department: General assistance to staff, support for waiting families and help with well siblings are provided in this very busy area of the Hospital.
- Volunteers Shop: This is open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 4.00pm, Saturday and Sunday from 9.00am to 3.00pm and sells donated goods to raise money for the Hospital.
- Trash and Treasure Stall: This operates weekly, selling donated pre-loved goods.
- Sibling Care: This is available to siblings of patients 7 days a week. Monday to Friday 9.00am to 3.30pm, and 10.00am to 2.00pm on weekends.
- Concierge Service: a Volunteer accompanies patients from the Enquiries Desk to their destination and/or other locations around the Hospital.
- Toys: Volunteers co-ordinate donations and distribution of new and used toys.
- Clerical Assistance: Assistance is given with collating documents, large mail-outs and by providing some basic clerical support to a large number of departments throughout the Hospital.
- Medical Library: Clerical assistance such as filing, cataloguing and photocopying is provided in the Medical Library.
- Raffles: Raffles are a very popular way of helping raise funds for the Hospital.
- Parents' Food Trolley: This is a service which gives parents and carers at the bedside access to snacks, magazines and drinks without having to leave their child.
- Hydrotherapy Pool: Volunteers act as observers at the poolside.
Related services and clinics
Last updated: Wednesday the 6th of September, 2006