Gastroenterology and the James Fairfax Institute of Paediatric Nutrition
||Prof. Kevin Gaskin
||(02) 9845 3992
||(02) 9845 3970
||Diagnostic Services Building, Level One (South Bridge)
See also: Nutritional Research and Gastroenterology in the Hospital's Directory of Services.
Summary of Unit
The Gastroenterology Research Unit began in 1982 under the direction of Professor Gaskin. The Unit became established as the James Fairfax Institute of Paediatric Nutrition in 1989 following a substantial donation to the Hospital by Mr James Fairfax, AO. Professor Gaskin was awarded the James Fairfax Chair of Paediatric Nutrition in 1994.
Aims of Unit
Our goals are to:
- Define the pathogenesis of liver, pancreatic and intestinal disease in cystic fibrosis.
- Investigate the effect of chronic diseases in children on body protein content, bone mineral density, body fluid content and energy metabolism.
Research areas include:
- Investigating the genesis of liver disease in cystic fibrosis through the presence of a lithogenic bile fluid secretion abnormality and common bile duct stenosis, as well as phospholipid metabolism in the intestine in cystic fibrosis.
- Body Composition in cystic fibrosis, chronic metabolic disease, anorexia nervosa, Crohn's disease and cerebral palsy, and the development of new in vivo fluid analysis techniques.
- Determining if an abnormality of fatty acid metabolism, ie elevated arachidonic acid/docosahexanoic acid ratio, influences fluid and electrolyte transport by epithelial cell membrane in cystic fibrosis.
- Investigating visual function in children with iron deficiency.
- Investigating retinal function and vitamin A deficiency in children with cystic fibrosis.
- The effect of feeding practices on the nutritional status of Vietnamese infants.
- Nutritional rehabilitation of children with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy.
- Developing a model to assess the effects of feeding problems on quality of life in children with spastic quadriplegia and their carers.
- Nutritional assessment of paediatric patients post liver transplantation
Grants and Other Financial Information
- Australian Cystic Fibrosis Research Trust
- Veneto Cystic Fibrosis Association, Verona, Italy
- Perpetual Trustees Foundation
- James Fairfax Institute of Paediatric Nutrition
- Financial Markets Foundation
- Children’s Hospital Research Fund
- German Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
- NH&MRC Postgraduate Scholarship Grant
- Clancey-Donald Fellowship Grant
- Harry Windsor Medical Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Enquires Phone : (02) 9845 3992
- Kevin Gaskin – James Fairfax Professor of Paediatric Nutrition, and Head of Gastroenterology
- Cheryl Frazer – Administrative Assistant to Professor Kevin Gaskin
- Jane Allen – Research Dietitian, Deputy Director
- Margie Gruca – Manager, Research Laboratories
- Ted O’Loughlin, Deputy Head of Gastroenterology
Photo: Taken at the Official Naming Ceremony for the Chair of Paediatric Nutrition on 20th July 2000.
(L-R) Mr John Dunlop (Hosp Board President), Prof Geoff Davidson (Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Adelaide), Prof Kevin Gaskin, AM (James Fairfax Professor of Paediatric Nutrition), Mr James Fairfax, AO, A/Prof Kim Oates (CEO, CHW).
McKay KO, Waters DL, Gaskin KJ. The influence of newborn screening for cystic fibrosis on pulmonary outcomes in New South Wales. J Pediatr 2005; 147(3):S47-S50.
Gaskin K. Cystic Fibrosis. In: Walker WA, Goulet O, Kleinman RE, Sherman PM, Shneider BL, Sanderson IR, eds. Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease (4th ed), Chap 65.1. Hamilton:BC Decker, 2004; 1606-1623.
Nguyen N, Allen JR, Peat JK, Schofield WN, Nossar V, Eisenbruch M, Gaskin KJ. Growth and feeding practices of Vietnamese infants in Australia. Eur J Clin Nutr 2004; 58:356-62.
Peacock K, Porn U, Howman-Giles R, O’Loughlin E, Uren R, Gaskin K, Dorney S, Kamath R. 99mTc-Stannous colloid white cell scintigraphy in childhood inflammatory bowel disease. J Nucl Med 2004; 45:261-5.
Gaskin KJ. Genetic disorders in gastroenterology and hepatology: CFTR gene and cystic fibrosis. J Gastroenterol and Hep 2004; 19:228.
Nguyen ND, Allen JR, Peat JK, Beal P, Webster BH, Gaskin KJ. Iron status of young Vietnamese children in Australia. J Paediatr Child Health 2004; 40:424-9 (editorial p422-3).
Gaskin K. Advances in management of gut, liver and nutritional problems in cystic fibrosis. In: Paediatric Gastroenterology 2004 – Reports from the 2nd World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Bologna: Monduzzi Editore; pp223-227.
This document was reviewed on Friday, 24 February 2006