Interstate or International Nursing Student Clinical Placements
In accordance with NSW Health policy, first priority for access to clinical placements is granted to NSW students. Following the allocation of places to NSW universities, requests for placements from interstate and overseas nursing students will be considered. Expressions of interest should be submitted by 31st October for consideration for placement in the following year.
Interstate or overseas student nurses must meet the following criteria:
- Registered nurses in their country of origin and enrolled in a nursing program at an approved university
- presently in their 3rd year of training leading to registration in an approved university;
- who have good verbal and written English skills
The following documentation is required with formal letter of application
- A letter from the college/university confirming candidature and year of training, the required duration of the placement and the required date of commencement.
- A copy of the relevant module outline, detailing the requirements of the placement, its aims and objectives.
- A copy of your personal learning objectives for the placement. These need to be specific. Please click here .
- Brief curriculum vitae. This should detail paediatric nursing experience.
- Complete Immunisation Standard Form and Travel Declaration
- Completed Criminal Record and Working with Children Form. International Criminal Record Checks are not conducted by NSW Health facilities, and must be supplied by international nursing students.
- Evidence of Professional Indemnity insurance to the value of A$10,000,000 and Personal Accident and Injury insurance
(Note: These are two separate policies. Professional indemnity insurance in England may be obtained via the Royal College of Nursing (RCN). Personal accident and injury insurance may also be obtain from the RCN or an independent insurance company of your choice).
Interstate or international students seeking to make requests for clinical placements should put their requests by fax or post to:
Nurse Education Manager
Locked Bag 4001
Westmead NSW 2145
Fax +61 2 9845 2999
Links to relevant forms
A tuition fee of A$75 per full time week per student is applicable (payment by cash, traveller cheques or electronic fund transfer). Cheques, international bank drafts or electronic transfers should be made payable to "The Children's Hospital at Westmead". This can be paid at anytime after receiving the formal offer of a clinical placement and no later than on the first placement day.