How to get to The Children's Hospital at Westmead
This information is provided as a general guide to help you get to The Children's Hospital at Westmead.
The Children's Hospital at Westmead is located at the corner of Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead. Come via Hawkesbury Road, Westmead.
The Hospital is only minutes from the major centre of Parramatta, and about 35 minutes by train from Sydney city. Public transport to The Children's Hospital at Westmead is easy, with direct bus and train services, and connecting bus, train and ferry services from the city, Parramatta, Strathfield, Penrith and the North Shore.
For timetables and trip planning, call 131 500 or visit www.131500.info
- Westmead railway station is approximately 15 minutes walk. It is an easy access station with lifts, ramps and security. The station is staffed 24 hours.
- Trains from other lines change at Strathfield, Central, Granville and Lidcombe.
- For information phone 131 500 or visit www.cityrail.info or www.countrylink.info
- The ferry leaves from Circular Quay, McMahons Point, Meadowbank and Rydalmere to Parramatta. Travel time from Circular Quay is about 55 mins.
- For information, phone 131 500 or visit www.sydneyferries.info
- Many local bus services from all over Sydney connect at Parramatta. Ask your local bus company for advice, or check when you make your booking.
- For information, phone 131 500 or visit www.sydneybuses.info
- Westmead is about ten minutes drive from Parramatta, and about 50 minutes from the city.
- Come via Hawkesbury Road, Westmead.
- Parent and visitor car parking is located off Hainsworth Street, entrance on roundabout.
- There is a parking fee, and concessions are available for parents of long-term patients.
- If you are going to your car at night, an escort is available. See the Security Office at the Main Entrance.
- For maps visit www.maps.google.com.au
For country families
If you are driving, follow the major routes from Penrith, Hornsby, Windsor, Liverpool or Sutherland.
- From the Blue Mountains and west (Lithgow), change at Penrith, Parramatta or Blacktown.
- From north and central coast, change at Strathfield.
- From the south coast, change at Central.
- From the south-west (Moss Vale/Campbelltown) change at Granville.
Children's Hospital (this campus) - multi story complex located Hainsworth Street with entrance on roundabout. Fee is determined at the auto pay station prior to returning to your vehicle on exit. The auto pay stations accept coins, and notes up to $50 or credit cards and provide change as appropriate.
Timed Casual Fees
- 0-1 hours $5
- 1-2 hours $8
- 2-3 hours $10
- 3-4 hours $12
- 4-5 hours $14
- > 5 hours $16
- Pre-pay $16 (unlimited same day entry & exits)
Westmead Hospital (nearby campus) - multi story complex located corner of Hawkesbury & Darcy Roads (entry via both roads), $7 per day coins only.
Old University of Western Sydney (nearby campus) - open air parking located corner of Hawkesbury & Darcy Rd (entry via Hawkesbury Rd), $5 per day coins only.
Located at the main entrance to the hospital and controlled by the Concierge in normal working hours.
Free parking (most street parking limited to 2 hours)
- Westmead - Hawkesbury Rd, Caroline St, Helen St, Jessie St and Hainsworth Street.
- Northmead - Redbank Rd, Beamish Rd, Brelogail, Bevan and Balfour Streets.
- Parramatta Park - parking bays located in Parramatta Park (entry via bottom end of Hainsworth Street).
Vehicles parking in these spaces must display a current Mobility Parking Permit issued by the Roads & Traffic Authority (RTA) to be eligible to park in these locations otherwise an infringement notice could be issued.
- Hospital Main Entrance
- Visitor Parking Station - multi story complex on roundabout in Hainsworth St
- Hawkesbury Rd - just south of hospital main entrance in front of CMRI (research facility)
- Hainsworth St - near entrance to Cumberland Hospital
Accommodation for parents & carers
For information contact the Accommodation Co-ordinator on (02) 9845 2958
On the Ward - Bedside
- Single sofa beds are provided free of charge at each child's bedside, except in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). For these parents, please see the Parents' Hostel information.
- As space is limited at bedside, there is room for only one parent to stay with each child on the ward.
On the Ward - Room
- Most wards have a parent bedroom (for one or two people) which is allocated by the Nursing Unit Manager based on the medical needs of the children in the ward.
- Price: $30 per room per night
- The Parents' Hostel on Level 2 has a small number of single rooms that can sleep up to two adults. Priority is given to families with children in ICU and NICU.
- Price: $30 per room per night
Please note, no children allowed in parent accommodation
Except for breastfed babies, we are not able to accommodate other children in the Parents' Hostel.
Ronald McDonald House
- This facility is available for country families and families who need to stay at the Hospital for a long time.
- For more information, contact the Ronald McDonald House Manager on (02) 9845 0600.
- There are some other accommodation options in surrounding suburbs.
- For a detailed list click the following link
Country Families - Accommodation Assistance
A reimbursement scheme - The NSW Isolated Patients' Travel and Accommodation Scheme (IPTAAS) - for rural families living over 100kms from the Hospital, offers assistance with travel and accommodation expenses. Your G.P. or a Social Worker & the Accommodation Co-ordinator at the Hospital will be able to give you more information about IPTAAS. For more information please click here.
Floorplans and directory
The Hospital Pharmacy dispenses hospital prescribed medications for inpatients and some outpatients. The Hospital Pharmacy on Level 2 (near the Parents' Hostel) is open Monday to Friday from 9am -4.30pm.
There are two Internet terminals, situated on the ground floor opposite the Bear Bite Eatery. There is a small fee charged to use these terminals.
A coin-operated laundry is available for parents to use. It is located on Level 1 at the far end of the corridor. You will need $1 coins for the washing and drying machines, and $2 coins for the washing powder dispenser.
A 24-hour Multi-card ATM is located on Level 2, main entrance opposite the Volunteers Shop.
Kids Plus Chemist is open from 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. It offers a full pharmacy service, gifts, personal items, stamps and 'phoneaway cards'. It is located next to the Volunteers Shop on Level 2 and the phone number is (02) 9689 2999 or extension 50551 from within the Hospital.
Places to eat
Bear Bite Eatery
7.00am - 8.00pm 7 days
Level 1 at the bottom of the ramp
A variety of hot foods, salads, sandwiches, sushi, drinks, fruit, snacks, some grocery items, newspapers, magazines and Telstra phone cards (including Phone Away cards).
Bear Brasserie Cafe
8.00am - 7.00pm Mon - Fri
Level 2 at top of the ramp
A variety of cafe style meals and beverages and is licensed.
Kidz Corner Cafe
6.30am - 5.00pm Mon - Fri
Hainsworth St near the Children's Medical Centre
A variety of cafe style meals, sandwiches, drinks and confectionery,
6.30am - 11.00pm Mon - Fri
Level 2 near the Main Entrance
7.00am - 10.00pm Weekends
Specialises in coffee and other beverages, also has selection of snacks and some Starbucks merchandise for sale.
The Volunteers' Snack trolley
A variety of snacks and drinks can be purchased from the Volunteers Snack Trolley which visits all wards every weekday morning (except on Public Holidays).
Snacks, drinks and other items such as toiletries are available from vending machines located throughout the hospital.
The Children's Hospital at Westmead is located on one of Sydney's major walking routes. These routes link up around Sydney to form the Sydney Harbour and Coastal Walking Network. For more information or to download walking routes, please visit www.planning.nsw.gov.au/harbour.
This document was updated on Thursday, 25 November 2010.